Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Paul George, Not a Smart Guy


I think I’ve found my professional calling over the past couple of weeks and I didn’t realize it until about 20 minutes ago.  Believe it or not, I haven’t been getting any formal education on this topic from my current institution (shocker I know), and I don’t even know where I’d look to get it.  That being said, I think a really good job fit for me would be to run twitter accounts for professional athletes.  Just twitter, none of my athletes would have facebook accounts, those are for the birds.  And in running those twitter accounts, my first order of business would be to tell my clients this: don’t tweet.  Ever.  Under any circumstances.  Seriously, if you’re in a burning building and twitter is your only modicum of communication, just go down with the ship.  My second order of business would be to ensure this by breaking their phone and throwing the pieces in a nearby body of water.  If I am not subsequently fired, I could have a prosperous professional relationship with these idiots that are good at sports.

In all seriousness, why do we care what athletes think?  The thing that set me off on this rant is a tweet that I saw this morning while I was eating breakfast penned by the ever-eloquent Paul George, who believe it or not, doesn’t exactly have an enlightened take on Ray Rice spitting on and beating his wife: 



 


We all know what happened there, so I refuse to discuss it further because it honestly makes me sick, but I want to discuss the question at hand.  Why do we care?  Obviously, Paul George, Anthony Smith, and 9/11 truther Jesse Ventura before them are celebrities, or at least quasi-celebrities, and they have our attention when they want it.  That coupled with a twitter account gives them a platform. 


Should it?  I’m going to go ahead and say that it shouldn’t.  Why would I care what Paul George thinks about not just this issue, but literally anything?  The only people whose opinions I value are my parents and my close personal friends.  Here’s another shocker, Paul George does not fall into either of those categories!  If he weren’t good at putting a basketball through a hoop, his opinion would mean just as much as mine to the general public.  It’s unfair to him and to us that what he says and does off the court is in any way newsworthy.  Nothing he's ever done has ever signaled that I should care what his opinion is on anything.  If instead of being a world-class athlete, he was a St. Thomas student that I was mildly acquainted with, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't give a shit about anything he has to say.  He'd be just another idiot with an opinion, and I don't give a shit.  People should think of athletes like this more often.  I feel like Us Weekly right now, because ATHLETES, THEY’RE JUST LIKE US (read: they have shitty opinions just as often as any other member of society).  As Charles Barkley once said, “I am not a role model.”  He was ahead of his time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment